Learn how to Discover Outdated Tweets: 4 Tried-And-True Strategies
Do you ever revisit your previous tweets? Twitter has been round since 2006 — in case you had been an early adopter, you’d most likely be stunned to see among the content material you as soon as thought was cool and acceptable to share.
Reviewing your previous tweets will assist you to hold your model picture in verify, and it must be a part of your common social media audits.
On this publish, we go over find out how to seek for previous tweets and delete them.
Bonus: Download the free 30-day plan to grow your Twitter following fast, a daily workbook that will help you establish a Twitter marketing routine and track your growth, so you can show your boss real results after one month.
Why is keeping track of old tweets important?
If, like me, you joined Twitter in its very early years with no idea what it was really about, you might be wondering how to find old tweets. What did you have to say in the halcyon days of 2007? Are irrelevant or potentially embarrassing tweets lingering on your timeline?
Enjoying the free wireless at YVR.
— Christina Newberry (@ckjnewberry) March 5, 2009
Singing the praises of free wifi at a significant worldwide airport (nevermind calling it “wi-fi”) seems a bit of goofy from the totally linked days of 2022.
In fact, this random tweet isn’t going to get me in any bother. But when my timeline had been suffering from this type of factor, I’d most likely need to go in and clear it up. It may also be a good suggestion to skinny out a few of my overzealous grammar assaults and in depth retweeting from the early 2010s.
We’re not advocates of cancel tradition, or of hiding out of your previous. However, realistically, there are many causes you’d need to delete previous content material out of your Twitter timeline.
Perhaps you began with a private Twitter account and now need to use it for enterprise functions. Perhaps you’re job looking and know potential employers will probably be checking you out on social. Or perhaps you mentioned some issues while you had been younger that you’ve grown as much as perceive weren’t so sensible.
Hold studying to learn how to seek for previous tweets and delete them. Remember the fact that all of those strategies delete your tweets from Twitter itself and from retweets and quote tweets created with the fashionable Twitter choices. If somebody copy and pasted a part of your tweet (like we did for old style RTs and MTs) or screencapped it, the content material is there to remain.
Learn how to discover previous tweets: 4 Strategies
Technique 1: Twitter superior search
Twitter’s advanced search feature is the best approach to search previous tweets and doesn’t require you to offer any third-party apps entry to your account.
1. Log in to your Twitter account and go to Twitter’s advanced search page.
2. Beneath the Accounts subheading, enter your username into the From these accounts area.
3. Enter no matter data you possibly can bear in mind concerning the tweet(s) you’re on the lookout for. This could possibly be a key phrase or phrase, a hashtag, an account you replied to or talked about, and/or a particular date vary.
The date choice choices return to 2006, when Twitter first launched.
4. Click on Search. Within the search outcomes, you’ll see a listing of prime tweets from that interval.
5. To see each tweet from that interval, click on on the Newest tab. This could return a listing of each tweet you despatched between the from and till dates you specified, in reverse chronological order.
It’s also possible to use the tabs throughout the highest of the display to search for tweets that include pictures or movies.
Technique 2: Obtain a whole archive of your tweets
Downloading an archive of your tweets now and again is sweet social media follow typically. It’s additionally a good way to look your complete document of previous tweets. Right here’s find out how to see previous tweets utilizing the Twitter archive:
1. Go to https://twitter.com/settings/account
2. Beneath Your Account click on on Obtain an archive of your information. When prompted, re-enter your password and select a verification technique.
3. Beneath Twitter information, click on Request archive.
3. It might probably take a few days for Twitter to arrange your archive. When it’s prepared, you’ll get a push notification and an electronic mail to let you already know.
4. Click on on the notification to obtain your archive. Or, go to again to https://twitter.com/settings/account and click on on Obtain an archive of your information underneath Your Account.
5. Click on Obtain archive to get a .zip file of all of your Twitter exercise, together with all of your previous tweets.
6. After you have the .zip file in your desktop, open the file referred to as Your archive.html. You’ll see a abstract of all of your exercise on Twitter. To see all of your previous tweets, click on Tweets.
You’ll see a listing of all of your previous tweets, in reverse chronological order. You should utilize the search field and filters on the proper of the web page to slender your search, or use the tabs throughout the highest to particularly see your replies and retweets.
Every tweet in your downloaded archive features a hyperlink to the reside tweet on Twitter for straightforward entry.
Technique 3: Use an app to see your previous tweets on one scrollable web page
For those who don’t need to wait to obtain your complete Twitter archive, right here’s find out how to search for previous tweets utilizing a third-party service. Choices like AllMyTweets let you see your 3200(-ish) newest tweets virtually instantaneously in simply scrollable kind.
The 3200 tweets restrict is imposed by Twitter’s API. For those who tweet as soon as a day, that 3200-tweet view will take you again almost 9 years. However in case you’re like Hootsuite and take part in loads of Twitter chats, it is going to most likely take you again lower than two years.
Nonetheless, it’s a great place to begin your seek for previous tweets.
1. Go to AllMyTweets and log in utilizing your Twitter account. You’ll should grant AllMyTweets entry to your Twitter account, however you possibly can all the time revoke this entry later.
2. When you’re logged in , you possibly can search for your individual previous tweets or another person’s. Enter the username you’d prefer to search for previous tweets for.
4. Scroll by the tweets, which seem in reverse-chronological order. Or use the search possibility in your browser to search for a particular key phrase, phrase, and even emoji.
Technique 4: Use the Wayback Machine
What if the tweet you’re on the lookout for has been deleted, and also you don’t have entry to the Twitter archive for the account it was despatched from?
You might need some luck trying to find it utilizing the Wayback Machine. It doesn’t archive particular person tweets, but it surely does have screenshots of well-liked Twitter pages from particular dates.
Observe: This simply goes to point out you that deleting tweets is rarely a foolproof approach to purge them from the web.
Right here’s find out how to seek for previous tweets utilizing the Wayback Machine:
1. Go to the Wayback Machine. Within the search bar on the prime, enter http://twitter.com/[username], changing [username] with the account you need to search.
2. Click on Browse Historical past. The Wayback Machine will current you with each screenshot it has of that person’s Twitter web page, organized by yr and day.
3. Choose which yr you’d prefer to see tweets from within the timeline on the prime of the display. Then click on on a date bubble.
4. The Wayback Machine will present you a screenshot of the person’s Twitter web page precisely because it appeared on that day. Most elderly screenshots of Twitter will include the primary 20 or so tweets that appeared on the web page that day, however received’t allow you to scroll to see older tweets. For instance, right here’s how Hootsuite’s Twitter web page regarded on August 24, 2014:
Learn how to delete previous tweets
Keep in mind, as we simply illustrated with the Wayback Machine, it’s type of inconceivable to delete one thing as soon as it hits the web. That mentioned, you possibly can delete your Twitter content material from Twitter, which actually makes them a lot more durable for somebody to search out with out actually digging.
Technique 1: Delete previous tweets manually
If you wish to delete previous tweets instantly on Twitter, you’ll have to take action one by one. There’s no native choice to delete a number of tweets. Right here’s the way it works.
- In your profile web page, or utilizing your Twitter archive, find the tweet you need to delete.
- Click on the three dots (extra) icon on the prime proper of the tweet.
- Click on Delete.
And right here’s find out how to delete one thing you Retweeted:
- In your profile web page, scroll to the merchandise you Retweeted.
- Hover your cursor over the Retweet icon.
- Click on Undo Retweet.
Technique 2: Mass delete previous tweets
As a substitute of trying to find particular objects in your timeline, it would generally be simpler to mass delete tweets.
Like we mentioned above, there’s no native possibility to do that inside Twitter, however there are apps that may let you delete previous tweets in bulk.
Among the finest choices embrace:
- TweetDelete, which lets you mass delete tweets based mostly on how previous they’re or based mostly on particular key phrases or phrases.
- TweetDeleter, which lets you delete previous tweets based mostly on key phrases, date, kind, and media. A bonus of TweetDeleter is that it retains your previous tweets in a personal archive, in order that they’re faraway from Twitter however nonetheless out there to you.
- Semiphemeral means that you can mass delete previous tweets whereas conserving those who have a particular degree of engagement. It’s also possible to choose particular person tweets to save lots of from deletion.
Utilizing any third-party app requires you to grant the app entry to your Twitter account. It’s a good suggestion to revoke that entry when you’ve accomplished every thing it’s essential do.
Technique 3: Delete previous tweets robotically
Perhaps you like to retweet issues however don’t need these tweets to reside in your timeline eternally. Or perhaps you solely need to hold tweets in your timeline that hit a sure degree of engagement.
On this case, an automated delete service is an effective possibility. All the mass deletion instruments above additionally let you set ongoing duties that may delete tweets robotically over time.
For instance, right here’s how the continued Twitter deletion duties setup seems in Semiphemeral.
Technique 4: The (virtually) nuclear possibility
WARNING: This technique means that you can hold your username, however you’ll lose all of your followers. That is really an account reset. Use this technique solely as a final resort.
For those who actually need a recent begin on Twitter, you possibly can fully wipe your account and begin over. To take action, you’ll must create a brand new account with a short lived username, delete your previous account, after which do a username switcheroo.
This technique isn’t for the faint of coronary heart! However in case you actually need to scrap every thing, right here’s the way it works.
- Create a brand new Twitter account with a brand new (momentary) username.
- Delete your current Twitter account. (Yikes! Actually. We imply it after we say this technique isn’t any joke.) As soon as the account is deleted your username turns into out there, so do that subsequent half quick.
- Change the title of your new account with the momentary username to your earlier username:
- From the profile web page, click on the three dots (extra) icon.
- Click on Settings and privateness.
- Click on Your account.
- Click on Account data and ensure your password,
- Click on Username, then enter your unique username.
That’s it. You now have a brand-new Twitter account with 0 tweets – and 0 followers! – however the slate is wiped completely clear.
Use Hootsuite to handle your Twitter accounts alongside all of your different social media profiles. From a single dashboard, you possibly can monitor your rivals, develop your followers, schedule tweets, and analyze your efficiency. Strive it free right this moment.
Do it higher with Hootsuite, the all-in-one social media toolkit. Keep up to the mark, develop, and beat the competitors.